Sunday 12 June 2011

Fromm La Strada Syrah

Date: 15 June, 2011
Who: Chambo
What: 2008 Fromm La Strada Syrah, Marlborough (NZ)
Purchased: cellar door, around NZ$30 I think (purchased Jan 2010)
Food: bouef bourgignon (leftovers!)
Comments: what a great colour!  Really deep, intense purple, and then a quite spicy and vaguely floral nose hit me shortly thereafter (label tells me there is a viognier co-ferment - 'nuff said).  Pepper is the dominant flavour, along with dark fruits.  Tannins are quite powdery - broad mouthfeel for something so peppery and spicy.  I bought this one on a holiday to NZ where I wanted to find "good" NZ shiraz/syrah i.e., different to what I usually see as typical Kiwi shiraz, which for mine lacks definition.  The ones I found that fitted the bill were either made by Europeans or styled on European (predominantly French) wines.  This was in the former bracket and is quite good.  Sort of like a Craiglee made in NZ.

No comments:

Post a Comment